CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Canadian Aboriginal Artist Showcase in TorontoFebruary 1, 2011
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Thursday, February 17, 2011
Manitoba Music is partnering with the Canada Council for the Arts to provide
a showcasing and development opportunity for Aboriginal artists from across
Canada in Toronto this spring. The project will include a set of workshops
and meetings along with a showcase for industry and media on March 24 and
Up to five Aboriginal acts will be invited to participate. Travel and
accommodations will be provided for participants who don’t live in Toronto
(subject to available funds).
The workshops will help participants further develop their business plans
and marketing plans. Time for meetings with industry leaders will be
included in the agenda for both days. Manitoba Music will help set up these
meetings as much as possible.
The showcase will be held at a downtown Toronto venue on Thursday, March
24 and each act will have at least 30 minutes to perform. Production costs
and marketing will be covered by Manitoba Music. Participants will need to
invite additional industry leaders with which they want to connect.
Artist selection will be made by a selection committee. Showcase dates and
times will be provided to selected artists.
To be considered for a showcase, you must:
* Have a current or upcoming professional release (demo / EP /
* Have professional promotional material (photos, website, music videos)
* Be export-ready (prepared to capitalize on opportunities in Canada and
* Participants from Manitoba must be a member of Manitoba Music OR be
willing to become a member of Manitoba Music by February 17. For more
information about Manitoba Music membership, visit manitobamusic.com or
contact Donna Evans (204.975.4217, email@example.com).
Preference may be given to performers that:
* Have toured nationally or have upcoming tour plans
Submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
* “Native America North – Toronto 2011” in the subject line
* A link to a MySpace or other page where your music can be heard
* Identify your current career and/or business goals (i.e. the things or
people you need to take your career to the next level)
* Approximately 200 words explaining what you would do to make the most of
* One high-resolution digital photo
* A performance history, listing your last 12 months of gigs
* Full name and mailing address
For more info, please contact:
Alan Greyeyes, Aboriginal Music Program Coordinator